Sunday, May 19, 2013

Breath of God

I'm listening to one of my favorite Pentecost hymns, "Breathe on me, Breath of God," and thinking of a line from another song by Robbie Williams.  "There's a hole in my soul, you can see it in my face." What happens when God's breath enters us, seeking to empower and transform us, and, then, because of our compromises and manipulations of the truth within us, that holy air just leaks out through the hole in our soul, as if we have congestive soul failure. Today I pray for that hole in my soul to begin closing up, so in the days to come I won't waste God's breath. It is too precious, too enlivening, for me to allow one breath to escape into the ether without my faithful witness to what its power and love can do in my relationships and work.

No comments: