Thursday, January 19, 2012

Utterly overwhelmed

This morning I set aside time to work on a women's retreat I will lead, which will fall on the same weekend as the Annunciation (March 25). It's perfect timing, since the scripture is about a woman being told by an angel that she will give birth to God's son. Quite a surprise for her! As I sat down to set out themes and approaches, I found myself utterly overwhelmed. Yes, it's a perfect scripture for a women's retreat, but it is soooo big, embracing so many deep spiritual issues and themes. So I sat on the love seat in my office feeling overwhelmed and inadequate to the task. Finally I stopped staring at my few notes and decided to go downstairs and read today's paper. This is not the first time in my life I've backed off from what seemed way beyond my own powers and expertise. I have found over the years that such backing off, rather than bulldozing my way through, is the only way I can eventually let God into the creative process --- let God do what God does best, be the Creator Spirit. This Divine Companion is still teaching me, and I have lots to learn.

No comments: