Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Shape of Living

I'm beginning the New Year reading David Ford's "The Shape of Living." It's giving me a lot to think about in terms of what overwhelms me and how I respond to being overwhelmed. I could make a chart of "Overwhelmings" that go far back in my past and learn much about myself in the process. Ford asks really good questions, like "What does the Bible say about being multiply overwhelmed?" He goes on to say that "a life is like an ecology. The various forms of overwhlelming are all parts of a whole. To deal with one part separately without taking account of the rest throws all the dynamics out of balance. The issue at stake is the whole shape of living." Now that's some wisdom to ponder as the craziness and overwhelmings of 2012 unfold!

No comments: